We offer an HTTPS REST service that anybody can use to check texts with LanguageTool. When using it, please keep the following rules in mind:
- Please do not send automated requests. For that, set up your own instance of LanguageTool, which is very easy.
- Access is currently limited to 20 requests per IP per minute.
- The maximum text size is limited (currently to 50KB).
- Only HTTPS is supported, not HTTP.
- This is a free service, thus there are no guarantees about performance or availability.
- The LanguageTool version installed may be the latest official release or some snapshot. We will simply deploy new versions, thus the behavior might change without any warning.
Update 2014-10-15: If you're already using our API and the proxy.php we provide and it suddenly stopped working, please see here for a fix
The service is running at languagetool.org port 8081, so you can test it like this:
Or use autodetect=1 so LanguageTool will try to detect the language automatically. Note that this only works well for texts that are longer than a sentence. Also, the automatic detection cannot detect variants, so you'll always get the most prevalent variant (e.g. US for English):
If you're not just testing you should use POST to transfer your data. You can test it like this, using curl:
curl --data "language=en-US&text=my texd" https://languagetool.org:8081
Note that the text needs to be URL-encoded, even for POST requests. LanguageTool only supports plain text, please don't submit XML, HTML, or any other format.
Please see HTTP server for information about the parameters you can supply.